Reports to: Senior Director, Finance & Operations Position Type: Full time (35 hour week)
Volunteer Calgary: Volunteer Calgary has played a key role in the development of volunteerism in Calgary for over 50 years. Its vision is “People with passion and purpose leading the way to vibrant communities.” Through its services and programs, it has enhanced the ability of more than 400 non-profit member organizations to manage volunteers and has linked thousands of Calgarians with unique volunteer opportunities. Volunteer Calgary is built upon: promoting the value of volunteering, connecting people to volunteer opportunities, strengthening the ability of the non-profit sector, groups and individuals to support volunteers; and providing leadership on issues relating to volunteerism.
Description: The Information Systems Specialist is responsible for all IT systems and infrastructure. As the sole internal IT staff member for a small organization, the role’s primary duties include tracking and solving help desk issues (tickets) and problem resolution. The Information systems specialist is also responsible for implementing IT infrastructure projects, and working with vendors to coordinate work as required. Emphasis is placed on strong documentation and capacity to implement Infrastructure effectively and efficiently according to best practices, established methodologies, and change control procedures.
- Ensure IT Help Desk tickets are recorded and handled in a timely manner
- Re-prioritize tickets in queue on a regular basis
- Escalate priority issues to vendors when appropriate
- Ensure that the following systems are functioning properly (working with vendors as necessary)
o Data Backups
o Network Infrastructure (e.g. switches, routers, firewalls)
o Servers & Storage Implement IT Infrastructure Projects and Tasks
- Manage site documentation – accountable for the completeness and accuracy of all site documentation
- Design & implement infrastructure architecture
- Ensure all tasks and projects assigned are appropriately recorded and prioritized
- Ensure change management processes are followed
- Coordinate infrastructure projects with vendors/contractors as necessary
- Manage capacity of systems
- Manage technology lifecycle, warranty, and licensing
- Assist in ongoing improvement of preventative maintenance checklists
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks as needed
- Perform occasional emergency after-hours support
- Perform occasional after-hours maintenance and project work
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
Ideal Qualifications and Attributes:
- College diploma or university degree in Computer Science and/or 10 years equivalent work experience.
- VMWare, Microsoft, or Cisco technical certifications desirable
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft desktop and server operating systems
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on listening and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language to non-technical staff and end users.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Some on call time required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Minimum 10 years industry experience
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills
Salary: Based on experience plus benefits, RRSP contributions, a strong vacation package and employer supported volunteering.
Application Deadline: May 18, 2012
Please send resume to:
Suite 1170, 1202 Centre St SE
Calgary, AB T2G 5A5
Thank you for your interest in this position.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.