Community & Service Learning Coordinator
Application Deadline: August 24, 2012
Position Type: Fulltime – 35 hours per week
Volunteer Calgary:For the last 55 years, Volunteer Calgary has led the way in developing Calgary as the volunteer capital of Canada. From promoting volunteerism to leading the evolution in a continuum of engagement, Volunteer Calgary now supports a full spectrum of capacity building in the non-profit sector with over 450 non-profit members. Strong partnerships with government, education, the corporate sector and other community leaders have results in a vital organization fueling the community through effective programming, learning and development, member services and research.
The VC team of 18 staff, our Board and numerous consultants is currently working on the transformation of a volunteer centre and a centre for non-profit management into a new hybrid organization uniquely positioned to build effectiveness of non-profit organizations to deliver service to the community. We serve Calgary through our mission: Leading, promoting, connecting and strengthening volunteerism. We engage and facilitate hundreds of volunteers through our programs and services.
Introduction: Volunteer Calgary staff are expected to work in collaboration with others; demonstrate flexibility and openness in organizing work; show a high degree of initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness; have good communication skills; demonstrate thought leadership and thoughtfulness in decision-making. Staff must be open, non-judgmental and receptive in their approach, and reflect genuine concern, respect and commitment towards individuals, family, and community.
Description: The Community & Service Learning Coordinator is the key individual on the Community Engagement team working in partnership with post-secondary institutions and schools to build student engagement (through education) with our non-profit members. While providing leadership, promoting Community Service Learning (CSL) and student engagement and evaluating and sharing best practice, this individual will be involved “hands on” with universities, colleges, schools and non-profits through project management, networking, training, and consultations. This position is also responsible for assisting in the development of a new council on Education and Engagement, dedicated to supporting non-profits, post-secondary institutions/schools and student engagement.
- Department Director(s)
- Volunteer Calgary staff and related colleagues
- Various staff of non-profit/education member organizations
- Post-secondary and school educators, administrators and staff
- Community leaders
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
· Develop and coordinate CSL opportunities in collaboration with education partners and non-profit organizations;
· Facilitate consultations for both non-profits and education on best practices in Community Service Learning and other issues related to student and youth engagement;
· Research, facilitate and evaluate collaborative engagements including CSL courses and other forms of student engagement and education;
· Assist in the coordination and delivery of all meetings and events for the Education and Engagement Council;
· Develop and deliver presentations on student engagement and/or CSL to various stakeholders in the community;
- Execute program administration, promotion, recruitment, selection, evaluation and reporting in collaboration with VC staff and related colleagues;
- Engage in departmental and organizational activities.
Ideal Qualifications, Attributes and Competencies:
- Post-secondary education completed in a program related to the position or relevant experience;
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: volunteer management, education, community service learning, community development, community involvement programs; program administration/coordination
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Previous experience engaging volunteers and students;
- Non-profit and education experience an asset;
- Strategic thinker – able to consider the big picture while addressing the details;
- Computer proficiency, including database programs
- Strong planning skills, facilitation/presentation skills and writing skills
- Available to work flexible hours (including occasion evenings and weekends) and access to transportation for travel within Calgary.
Please send resume to:
1170 – 105 12 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1A1
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Volunteer Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.